The company has published a global report for the second half of 2011.
In its detailed report, Microsoft Security Intelligence Report volume 12, Microsoft has provided a detailed description of the vulnerabilities in the software, the prospects for IT-sphere, and threat analysis for the second half of 2011. Most attention in the report have paid professionals threat from the worm, Conficker. According to them, the virus, as before, is one of the biggest problems in the world of information security.
During the past 2.5 years Conficker was detected in the Microsoft operating systems, about 220 million times by 1.7 million systems (detection rates increased from 2009 by more than 225%). However, only 8% of infections occurred through the exploitation of vulnerabilities in various software products. The remaining 92% of the incidents occurred because of the victims are too weak or compromised passwords.
Conficker is one of the biggest security threats we face, but in our power to resist it,” – said Tim Raines (Tim Rains), head of the Microsoft Trustworthy Computing. He also noted that the report of the company is based on analytical data collected from more than 600 million computers.
Experts also noted that, despite a marked reduction in the number of vulnerabilities in operating systems, the number of applications is growing steadily. Thus, in the second last year gap in third-party software products was up 18%. At the same time the most common acquired Malicious software that creates keys for pirated versions of software.