Our task today – to create a special build of Windows 7, which would work without having to install and run directly from the stick. Including in its membership the necessary software, we can solve different problems: to solve the problem with disk partitions, or remove viruses, for example, using hacking tools in familiar surroundings.
Having seen long ago that many of the problems are much easier to solve by booting from the Live-carrier, I try to always carry a flash drive any recovery-distribution. Admit it, if not the best, then at least one of the easiest ways to restore the system or, for example, to deal with malvaryu (especially if it is a blocker). I’ve tried a lot. At first it was a system based on Linux, then UBCD4Win, built on Windows XP, and then I made ??my own assembly, using the notorious utility Bart’s PE Builder . Alas, the program have not renewed, and therefore, as a list of supported operating systems available for transfer on the media, still remains the same: Windows 2000/XP/2003. It’s a bit sad: have all grown accustomed to the “seven”, and it would be nice to collect my boot system is based on Windows 7. No sooner said than done.
In return PeBuilder found another, quite a wonderful tool – WinBuilder. It’s not even a program, but a real framework for creating Windows PE (the so-called light version of Windows, which allows you to boot from removable CD / DVD / USB-media). To do this, it extracts the required components from the distribution system itself, as well as a set of Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) as the basis for the system and can create additional scripts in which are embedded in the system, any third-party utilities.
On the basis of WinBuilder built several projects, but a few of them:
We will use Win7PE, as the most tested and most suitable for our purposes the project.
In order to collect the boot system based on Windows 7, we need the following:
1. Upgrade to Windows 7 x86 or x64, it is desirable to have an integrated SP1.
2. The latest version of WinBuilder . It is distributed in the form of small exe-file and the necessary components for utility and support additional loads from the web.
3. Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 (WAIK). Package for automatic installation of Windows weigh very much – this is the image of 1.7 GB, which you can either deflate with Microsoft site .
4. DriverPack ’and – great set of drivers that support a huge amount of iron. The website builds for different types of devaysov, we need not so much – namely, to collections of categories Chipset, LAN, WLAN Mass Storage driver.
When all files have at our disposal, we can start preparations.
1. First we need to install Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7. Write to the disc ISO’shnik, by itself, is not necessary: ??you can simply extract the files and run KB3AIK_EN.iso StartCD.exe. In the AutoPlay menu, choose Windows AIK Setup and run most standard installation. Weighs a lot of this stuff, but after the scripts from there WinBuilder derive the necessary files, WAIK, you can remove (bear this in mind).
2. Then copy the files from the Windows 7 disc or ISO-image to any directory.
3. Place the downloaded WinBuilder.exe in any folder (for example, C: \ WinBuilder) – just not in the directory with the profile of this person. And run the binary under Administrator account, otherwise the program will warn you honestly about possible problems.
4. WinBuilder’a of pure little help – he needs the scripts and supporting files to create a bootable distribution. So the first thing you see after you start – it’s “Download Center”. Prog order to select projects that need to download.
In the upper left corner you can choose to upload (the default value displayed at the “Recommended”). Select the menu “Complete” and start downloading the files by clicking on “Download”.
5. For some reason, WinBuilder can not properly extract all the files are absolutely necessary to create the assembly, so you have to work a little hands. Need to find a file on your system bcdedit.exe (Windows 7) and copy it to C: \ WinBuilder \ Projects \ Tools \ Win7PE_SE \ x86 (or C: \ WinBuilder \ Projects \ Tools \ Win7PE_SE \ x64 64-bit systems). There also need to copy the following files:
imagex . exe
WIMGAPI . dll
wimmount . inf
wimmount . sys
wimserv . exe
Initially, they are located in the WAIK. You can try to not perform this step. I have automated scripts WinBuilder could not rip the files, but you may have better luck.
Now that you have everything needed to build and we have a ready to use, it makes no sense to delay the creation of the distribution. Again, lay out all the points.
1. So, in the left panel we see the project tree Win7PE SE. Push button but “Source”: here you must specify the location of distribution files to Windows 7. Everything else can be left by default.
2. Next you need to connect to the creation of an assembly drivers that will use the system. This is done under “Drivers”. The default is the path% GlobalTemplates% \ Drivers_x86. The easiest way to click on “Explore” and then in the folder to copy all the necessary drivers. Just extract the archives here Driverpack’ov that we previously downloaded. Since the scanning of subdirectories is supported, then shove it all in one crazy bunch of optional: boldly placed the contents of the archives “as is”.
3. If we go by Section “Tweaks”, then you can add to various cosmetic adjustment of the future system. For example, change the wallpaper, adjust the “Start” menu, change the labels. Everything is very clear is configured via the corresponding options.
4. Then go to the section “WriteMedia” mode and activate the “Copy to USB-Device”, to immediately put our assembly on a USB-stick, choosing the correct media.
5. You can now click on “Play” and believe that everything will go off without a hitch. Create an assembly, obviously, takes some time in the process can be seen as running a script of another (hard to imagine how long it would take to perform such work by hand). Accordingly, the more scripts you choose to run, the longer it will bother WinBuilder. In the case of an error prog tell what the problem is and probably will help in the browser with a possible solution.
The statement can I make with all the difficulties encountered by me, so you should not step on my rake. Everything should be fine, and the output you get in your file Win7PE_x86.ISO WinBuilder \ ISO.
6. Before you upload files to a USB flash drive, you can pre-test the assembly in a virtual machine, and here again, everything is automated. Under VirtualTest can choose a system virtualization (testing can be arranged using qEmu, VirtualBox, Virtual PC, VMware). I left the default mode (Best Emulation), and then launched WinBuilder resulting image set in VMWare Workstation, which suited me just fine. You can choose a more appropriate scenario. You can leave everything as is and install the system free and lightweight.
7. Now that looks like the transfer system on the stick. First WinBuilder run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool – the most proper tool to format USB-carriers. Choose here FAT32 (if you want in the future to add the ability to boot from a flash drive other systems) or NTFS. Format. After that comes into play utility Grub4Dos, which has an important purpose – to set the loader on the stick. Here it is necessary: ??first, to choose the disk (so the letters do not appear, look carefully at the size), and secondly, to choose as the value of “Part List – Whole disk (MBR)” and tick the option Don’t search floppy. After this is to click “Install”, immediately get the message about installing the bootloader, and mentally thanking Gbur4Dos, close the window. All: WinBuilder promptly thereafter transfer all the files on the USB-drive.
Our bootable flash drive with Windows 7 is ready.
There is no sin to boot from a USB-drive to make sure that the system is not only virtual, but in the present, the most ordinary surroundings. But I want to warn: a highly stripped down variation of Windows 7, which left at least components. No you Aero and beautiful effects: it all off. A software from you by default get some standard utilities Windows (like regedit’a), as well as several bonus programs like PENetwork to configure the network (including wireless adapter) and Opera USB for browsing. All this is good, but not enough – the system needs to equip.
Additional programs that can include in your build system, distributed in the form of scripts (or plug-ins – so they are also called). Connect them easily. Just copy them into \ WinBuilder \ Projects \ Win7PE_SE \ Apps, and then activate a GUI-interface WinBuider. It is true that they appeared in the tree, scripts need to restart the program, although do not rule out that update the list of plug-ins can be somehow easier. In some cases, plug-in is distributed as a single file – the script. There are two options. The developer can include the needed files directly in the file, encode it in base64. Or as part of a script no files are included, and they must be copied to the folder with the script itself (it should be described in detail in the manual plugin). Last particularly true of commercial software (the same Total Commander) files, which developers plug-ins just do not have the right to distribute.
Now answer for sure you have a question arose: “And where to get these plugins?”. There are a number of sources – such as here:
For example, you can download the plug-in Wireshark and necessary for its operation Winpcap (available here ). Move it to the folder Apps / Network, activate a tree – and we get a complete assembly with sniffer. Links to some useful plug-ins I have below:
Despite the fact that ready-made plug-ins a lot, very useful to be able to write a script to add the needed programs in the system. When adding a new script in “Tools .. Create script …”, WinBuilder offers a simple pattern script. For example, I give you a simple script that sets SoftPerfect Netscan , and explain the logic of using comments:
/ / Section with information about adding applications
[main] Title = NetScan
Description = Netscan from SoftPerfect
Selected = True
Level = 5
Version = 1
NoWarning = False
Download_Level = 0
/ / Important variables, including the path to the executable file
[variables] %% ProgramTitle Netscan =
%% = ProgramEXE netscan . exe
=%% ProgramFolder netscan
/ / commands for installing the application
[Process] / / Copy the files from the subdirectory netscan in the folder where the script (here, you must first move needed to run the program)
CopyProgram,% ScriptDir% \%% ProgramFolder
/ / Add shortcuts
Add_Shortcut, StartMenu, Netscan
Add_Shortcut, Desktop, Netscan
/ / Specify DLL'ki that are needed for the program.
WinBuilder include them in
A huge number of scripts available online reboot.pro, they can be viewed as examples and used as a basis. In any case, nothing difficult in creating their own scenarios. If you need just to add some files in the assembly, it is not necessary to create this plugin. In this situation the help section "Components .. Additional Files", which is required for just this situation. If you click on "Directory Example", then you will see the folder structure used in the assembly in order to understand exactly where the files will be added.
How well does this system? Very good! When you boot on my laptop, just cling to the appropriate drivers, including wireless module. So, I immediately have access to the network. All programs, when properly integrated (ie, performing all their dependencies), to cheers and started working. And this software to restore the system to work with partition tables, backup, edit the registry, as well as hack-TOOLS. In the end, that may be more comfortable as a support system that you can always take with you and, if necessary with it to boot?
A few tips: